2012 Year In Review
- Elephant Ban! AFA worked with county legislators to introduce and pass a ban on elephants being used in circuses in Dane County.
- Mad City Vegan Fest: AFA joined with grassroots volunteers for a successful 2nd annual Mad City Vegan Fest, a celebration filled with great food, inspiring speakers, raffle prizes, and a host of vegan-minded exhibitors.
- UW Not In Our Name: AFA inspired a growing coalition of alumni and students of UW schools who are alarmed by our university's resurrection of maternal deprivation experiments on baby monkeys.
We have kept animal issues in the public eye by presenting information via...
- Our table at the farmer's market on Capitol Square
- "Animals Have Rights" aired on WYOU in Madison weekly
- Newspaper Letters to the Editor
- AFA News Blog, updated several times each week
- E-Alerts and Newsletters to members
- WORT Access Hour
AFA has promoted veganism to save animals used for food and to protect the environment via...
- Our Simply Vegan campaign, including weekly E-newsletters and a table at Fighting Bob Fest
- Annual Vegan Chili Cook-off with hundreds of attendees - our biggest cook-off yet!
- Vegantines, with speaker Melanie Joy
- Mad City Vegan Fest, an annual celebration filled with great food, inspiring speakers, raffle prizes, and a host of vegan-minded exhibitors
- A Vegan Thanksgiving Dinner at The Green Owl Cafe and marketed by AFA
- VegNews magazine subscriptions sent to Madison area high schools
- Presentation on backyard chickens at the annual member meeting
- A Great American Meat-Out Food Giveaway: AFA assisted Food Not Bombs in giving away free vegan meals
AFA fought for animals in entertainment
- Attended circus performances, documented elephants (at Zor Shrine, Picadilly, Circus World, and Renaissance Fair), and filed USDA Complaints
- 5,000+ leaflets were handed out at the Zor Shrine Circus to educate the public about elephant abuse
- Promoted and successfully passed a ban on elephants used in circuses in Dane County!
- Spoke at Mad Rollin' Dolls event
- Held a Rock for the Elephants concert at the High Noon Saloon
- 100+ members sent in photos showing their support for the ban, which were shown to the Dane County Supervisors
- Created a website documenting the George Carden Circus' history of abuse of animals so that other organizations have the information they need to support a ban on the circus in their community
AFA stood up for animals used for experiments
- Ignited a growing coalition of alumni and students of UW schools who are alarmed by our university's
resurrection of maternal deprivation experiments on baby monkeys
- 250+ alumni signed the pledge to withhold donations to the UW until the cruelty stops
- 500+ letters were sent to alumni across the globe encouraging them to withhold their donations
- Created a YouTube video about the maternal deprivation experiments, reaching hundreds of people
- Flew a UW Not In Our Name banner of Camp Randall Stadium on Homecoming Game Day, seen by thousands
- Debated the experiments on national television - Jane Velez-Mitchell show
- Handed out 1,000 leaflets about the Great Ape Protection Act
- Tabled at Fighting Bob Fest presenting information about the UW's experiments on animals
- Stayed up-to-date on the UW's experiments thanks to volunteers attending UW Madison Animal Care and Use Committees throughout the year
AFA helped protect Wisconsin's wildlife
- Learned how to oil goose eggs to reduce the number of geese that are rounded up in city parks and then killed. (While we were too late to oil in 2012, we are all set to oil in 2013.)
- Intervened to allow Babcock Park geese "guardian" to continue caring for a flock of geese despite new law forbidding feeding wild animals (AFA helped get this story reported on and located a new haven for the geese, which was ultimately not needed)
- Acquired trapping licenses and won the permit lottery to ensure no animals are trapped on the one Dane County park which now allows trapping
- Fought against the Nelson Knowles grant which allows trapping on lands purchased with those funds. (AFA has since worked with legislators to pass a ban on trapping in most county-owned lands where it is not required by the Nelson-Knowles Stewardship law!)